Monday, March 28, 2011

The BIRTHday of our twin girls!

On February 25, 2011, Blair and I brought the most perfect little girls into this world.  This post is going to go through that day.
I am actually going to start with the night of the 24th (baby eve!). My parents left the hospital and Blair and I were alone for the last time!  I was quite emotional that night because there was no turning back! ha! It was all so surreal.  It had just been Blair and Kari for 10 1/2 years!  I know it sounds weird, but I guess it was hormones! ha!  Anyway, we had a sweet few hours with just us.

I woke up around 5 for vitals and things and then got a shower.  They said they would come get me between 6-7.  It was actually about 7:30 when they came and picked me up.  Our parents had just arrived a few mintues before, so I was able to see everyone before going back.  I was suprisingly calm.  I was not worried at all and knew I was in God's hands.


So, they rolled me to the OR.  Everyone was so nice and just chatting away which kept me extremely calm!  They started all the IV's and other things, then actually rolled me to the room and gave me the spinal block.  I was so worried about this, until that morning.  For months I have been dreading the epidural/spinal block...the thought of having something stick around my spine just gave me the creeps.  However, that morning I was not nervous at all and I am glad I wasn't because it was a piece of cake!  They told me as soon as they put it in, I would have to immediately lay down and would have to be quick about it.  Gosh, it is amazing how fast that worked.  They were VERY QUICK about laying me down and I still needed help picking my legs up because of the medicine! ha!  Everything went so fast from here (in my opinion, not Blair's!).

Blair was out in the wating room and they would call him back when everything was ready to go.  It took me a little longer than they told Blair to get me numb.  I do remember Dr. Tinga said "If you don't hurry and get completely numb, Blair is going to have a heart attack!"...I am glad he waited till I was numb, hahaha!  To me, it only seemed like a minute or two, but Blair said it was longer than that.  They told him they would come get him in about 5 minutes, yet he said it was like 20 minutes and he was getting nervous!  The above picture is of him waiting to go back.

I was so glad to see Blair come in!  They had already cut me when Blair came back, so he was only in the OR for about 10 minutes (if that!).  Those babies were out in NO TIME! 

Getting the babies out was not as 'painful' as I thought.  Everyone had warned me of the pressure I would feel.  Baby A (Maddox) came out fairly quick and easy, and screaming!  Dr. Tinga held her up over the curtain so I could see her.  She had the cutest little scream ever!  She was born at 8:26 and weighed 5lb 11oz and was 18 3/4 in long.

Then, it was Baby B's turn (Vivian).  All I remember is how hard Dr. Tinga seemed to be grunting and pulling to get her out.  Turns out that when Maddox came out, Vivi turned and stretched out and was content with staying in! ha!  She now had all the room she needed and there was no need for her to come out of her warm spot!  It took a little longer to get her out, and with more effort, but at 8:28, sweet Vivi was born!  She weighed 5lbs 7 oz and was also 18 3/4 in long.  Blair said they had to work on her a little longer (he thought) to get her crying.  I didn't see her right away.  I did not see her until Blair had both of them.  They both had a 9 APGAR score (on both of them).

Even though Vivi turned and didn't want to come out, it really was not as bad getting them out as I thought it would be.  I could feel my whole body being pulled around...weird!  I was just smiling the whole time!  Right after the above picture, it was time for the babies to go to the nursery and Blair went with them.  It was right about now that I started to get uncomfortable.  I was so crampy and wanted to ball up in a ball, but of course couldn't move.  I never really complained verbally, so either the looks on my face (squinting), breathing deep, or my vitals told the anesthesiologist that I was in some pain because she came over and said she was giving me some morphine.  I kept thinking, geez, are they pulling my insides out?  I thought pulling the babies out was the extent of it, but after they were out is when all the pressure came.  It was quite uncomfortable and I had to keep breathing really deep and just staying focused and calm because it was getting rather painful!  The anesthesiologist said it was probably all the pitocin they were giving me which was causing the discomfort.  I know that is good stuff, but it is not fun.  I can't imagine having that hooked up for hours with no meds!

Anyway, morphine is some crazy stuff!  I remember they moved me from the OR table to the recovery table and wheeled me out to recovery.  I was not feeling ANY pain at this point, ha!  I got to recovery and had the sweetest nurse there.  She did all the things she had to do, and keep doing, and just let me rest.  A nurse that was in the OR and took lots of pictures brought me some pics she printed out of the girls.  I remember that and a few other things, but for the most part, I was completely out of it.  It wasn't until a week or so after the delivery that I learned how long I was in recovery.  It only seemed like 30 min to an hour to me, but everyone said it was almost 3 hours!

I had to be able to feel my toes and bend my legs before they would let me leave.  Well, it took forever for me to be able to feel my toes.  I couldn't really feel them, but could bend my legs, so they let me go back to the room!  THIS is when the real fun begins!

Once I got back to the room, the nurses had to do their thing, then Blair brought the girls in.  I had requested that Blair and I have some alone time with the girls before everyone else came in.  Sad thing is, I don't remember any of it...:(

Morphine kicked my butt.  I don't remember much about that day after I got back to the room.  There were people that came in and visited and I had no idea they were there!  When I look at the pictures, it is like I am seeing it all for the first time! ha!  They say the birth of your children is the best day of your life.  I agree, however I don't recall very much about that day.  It is kind of funny to talk to people about that day and get parts of the story that I never knew happened!

Well, that is the story of the birth of the best thing that has ever happened to me.  I love them with all of my heart and I think God EVERYDAY that he allowed me to be their mother.

“From the fullness of grace we have received one blessing after another” - John 1:16

PS..This only took me about 2 weeks to get written! ha!  Maybe I will get the next post about the babies after their birthday up soon!


Andrea said...

Congratulations Kari! Your daughters are absolutely beautiful!! What an awesome God we serve! Isn't it amazing that He can completely calm our nerves?!
I'm so happy to hear that you had a fast and relatively easy delivery. I'm sure recovery has had its ups and downs, but one day, you will forget about all of it.
I will continue to pray for you and Blair to get some rest, and for the babies to continue to grow healthy.
You are so blessed, Kari!

Christine Guthrie said...

I think this is the most special BIRTHday blog I have ever seen.

Aby said...

Kari and Blair, Congratulations to the both of you for creating another couple of the Lord's children. They will always be watched over closely and walked hand in hand by HIM. They already have two very good teachers and don't even realize it yet. They are truly blessed indeed! You have the sweetest little family! Good luck in years to come! Much happiness!:)